June 9

Speech

Oh hello there, what a large audience!, We are selling tie-dyed masks to raise money for CHEO and we were wondering if you would be interested in buying one. You’ll take one? Oh great, here you go…
Actually, before you go let me share with you a little bit about our fundraiser.
Our name you ask? Oh, well, I am Ark and our Fundraiser is Friendly faces.

Last spring when COVID made it necessary for us to wear masks, my siblings and I wanted to find fun masks to wear. Since we have always loved tie-dye we thought it would be fun to make tie-dye masks. At first, we could not find any white cotton masks for us to tie-dye so my mom had to sew them. We thought that our masks would be popular and we wanted to sell them to raise money for CHEO, but sewing them took a lot of time. Then one day we discovered that you could buy white masks in bulk online and that was when the Friendly Faces fundraiser was born.
Why are we raising money for CHEO you ask? Well, there are a lot of reasons. One reason is that my dad works there. If your dad worked there you would probably want to raise money for them too. My dad is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. That means he fixes kids broken bones and torn ligaments. He loves helping young athletes and fixing them up so they can get back to playing the sports they love! That means if one of your children got hurt playing soccer this summer he’d be able to help them.
Another reason that we are raising money for CHEO is because the doctors there have really helped my baby brothers. They have some health issues so they have spent some time as patients at CHEO. We are really thankful to have such a fantastic children’s hospital so close to home. With the pandemic CHEO has not been able to fundraise in the same ways that they used to. Therefore we wanted to do our part to help out!
Finally, Let me share with you some of the ripple effects of our efforts. The most obvious benefit of our fundraiser is that we raised 6000 dollars for cheo. There were a couple of unexpected benefits of our fundraiser as well. The best one was making new friends in our neighbourhood. As we went door to door we met other families with children who wanted to help us with our fundraiser. Some of them began going door to door with us selling masks. Others came and helped us tie-dye on our front lawn. Over the course of the summer, we became good friends. Now as we walk through our neighbourhood we really know most of our neighbours.
Another unexpected benefit was that tie-dying was a great activity that could be done easily while maintaining social distance. This meant that many of our friends were able to come over and make masks with us. It was so much more fun doing this with our friends. So far we have made more than 600 masks. That never would have been possible without the help of our friends and neighbours!
Oh, look at the time. I am so sorry for talking your ear off for so long. I just get very excited about the topic. Fundraising for cheo means a lot to me and my siblings. Thank you so much for supporting our fundraisers,

Posted June 9, 2021 by Ark in category Language Arts